Sunday, May 15, 2016

Home Made Yogurt



We consume so much yogurt in our house hold, I cook with yogurt, we drink yogurt juice, we add yogurt into our breakfast item . So many times I've been thinking about to make my own yogurt, looking and searching in the internet how to make it, and again always I scare if I failed, so again I just buy yogurt from store, quite easy haaah ....  until one day, friend of mine say 'why don't you make your own yogurt, I will teach you'  - ok, seem easy to me, but time passed she never has a chance to teach me, and make me feel itch .. 
 
And , after read David Lebovitz website, I challenge myself :) in my mind say, that just a milk, if I failed I just lost small amount of money LOL  - Luckily the recipe work well to me than I never buy store yogurt anymore unless I need small amount of yogurt as a starter






Homemade Yogurt
Recipe slightly adapted from : David Lebovitz

Require :
A heavy, heat-proof jar, and sterilize it by pouring boiling water into it and letting it stand, then draining it well before adding the yogurt mixture.

A heavy bottom sauce pan

A candy thermometer, some said you can tested with dip your finger into the yogurt but I don't want burn myself *chicken :p

Ingredients :
  • 1 quart (1 l) whole milk
  • 1/4 cup (60 g) plain whole milk yogurt
1. Clean a 1 quart (1 l) jar by pouring boiling water in it and letting it stand 5 minutes. Drain the water (carefully, as the water and the jar will be hot), and let the jar dry.

2. Heat the milk in a saucepan fitted with a thermometer until the milk reaches 180ºF (82ºC). Remove from heat.

3. When the temperature drops to 115ºF (45ºC), stir in the 1/4 cup of yogurt, then pour the mixture into the jar and cover it.

4. Put the yogurt in a slightly warm place, and leave it undisturbed for 10 to 12 hours. The longer fermentation will yield a more tart yogurt.  - I  pre-heat the oven  for awhile and turn off after feel warm, and put all the bottles inside the oven after , than cover all the yogurt bottles with towel *hey, they are pretty warm inside the oven


5. Chill the yogurt thoroughly, at least three hours. The yogurt will thicken up once cool.

No comments: